Saturday, February 16, 2008

quick hits 3

-I was thinking the other day about how much I've changed in the last 8-years. In 2000, I was an agnostic nihilist who got drunk every day and screwed anything that moves. But I voted in lock step with the religious right. In 2008, I am a Christian who is a lot more moderate politically and views the religious right as the scariest force in American culture. Kind of a weird transformation.
-I have and will continue to point out reasons I don't support Senator Obama's candidacy but I will point out things that I like. I like his health care plan better than Hillary's. The fact that his plan does not use the power of government to force people to buy health insurance the way hers does. I've never sat around thinking: "I wish the government would force me to do more things. That's the problem these days, too much control over my own life."
-My sense is that Hillary is done, but I'm not sure "her legs are protruding from under the house" yet.
-According to the Wall Street Journal, Senator Obama has proposed $800 billion in new federal spending so far. This doesn't sit well with me. I view borrowing as the biggest threat to the long term survival of the republic.
-The History Channel should change it's name to The "Marching Nazi" Channel.
-Bill Moyers' Journal continues to be my favorite television show. I like the fact that people actually come on there and talk about substantive issues for longer than 3 minutes. Bill also reminds me of my father, between the southern accent, the way he looks at people while they talk and the fact that he used to be a minister.
-The headline on www.johnmccain.com currently reads "Ready to Lead on Day One". Uh oh, hey John that slogan hasn't really worked for Hillary so far. I'd try something else if I were you.
-I do believe that most of the coverage I see at this point is biased against Hillary and for Obama.
-Quote from Obama's Super Tuesday speech: "Nothing in this country has ever happened except somebody, somewhere, was willing to hope." You know, hope is nice. Action is better. Hope didn't kick out the British, free the slaves, or destroy Hitler. Even in Obama's own life story where he talks about hope, it seems to me that actions had a much bigger hand in his rise above his circumstances. The fact that he worked hard, studied hard and did everything in his power to make himself a better life resonates more with me than the ad-nauseum appeals to hope. I wonder if this would be as powerful of a message with the electorate at-large, though.
-I saw this video called "No, You Can't" based on the Obama "Yes, We Can" stuff. It was an attack on McCain which is fine with me, but they took a shot at Cindy McCain's addiction to prescription drugs in the 80's and early-90's. Word to the wise: 1) Let's leave the families out of this. 2) It would probably not be a good idea to make mention of anyone else's past drug use if you're trying to help Obama. Otherwise, a-holes like me are going to go out and constantly remind people of the days when Barack was doin' something back in the neighborhood. I won't say what he was doing, but he said it in his book. So let's try to stick to the actual issues involved with who we want leading the nation for the next four years.
-Two funny things I saw on Jimmy Kimmel's "fun with unnecessary censorship" segment last night. 1) Obama speaking: "They come up to me and whisper 'Barack, I'm a republican but I support you.' And I say '____ you!'"
2) McCain speaking: "I am f___ed up and ready to go!" Hillarious.
-I can't begin to tell you how much I wish McCain had beaten Bush in the 2000 primaries.

3 comments:

Friar Tuck said...

I like your quick hits

Bob W said...

I like this post, I disagree about the McCain slogan not working. Lets put things in perspective it didn't work for Hillary because SHE IS THE MOST HATED WOMEN IN POLITICS!
Other then that I like them alot. I agree about the religious right. I am still pretty conservative but I could not agree more.

Bob W said...

p.s well Katherine Harris may be tied with Hillary...no Hillary wins it hands down!