Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Bad Choice of Words

I think Michelle Obama's statement today "for the first time in my adult lifetime, I am really proud of my country" was nothing more than a poor choice of words. I'm willing to bet that she meant to say "never in my adult lifetime have I been this proud of my country". Sorry, but I don't believe she hates the U.S.A. And if she does hate this country I think she is far too smart to say so publicly. I don't really consider this to be an issue but I'm sure people are jumping all over it. That said, I will continue to work towards her husband's defeat in November.

3 comments:

Friar Tuck said...

When have you truly been proud of you country in a tangible manner?

Bob W said...

Well I agree with the post entirely. I must say that I am also starting to realize that Obama is gonna put up one hell of a fight and that we conservatives must make ourselves get motivated, get out or check books and walking shoes for McCain and do everything we can to get this man elected.
Although I hope this election doesnt have the venom of the last few elections.
Oh and to friar tuck
I have been proud of my country the day I was sworn as a member of the military. Every time I vote without fear of death, injury or cohersion! I am proud of my nation for the fact that while sometimes it can take us a while we always seen to do the right thing.

Steve said...

Clint, that's a an interesting question. I tend to divide this into two categories: pride in the government and pride in the actual citizenry. I've been proud of the people of this nation on several occasions, the wake of 9/11, the aftermaths of the Southeast Asian tsunami, and Hurricane Katrina to name a few. As for actual government actions I'd have a much harder time coming up with them. To me though, pride in my country means pride in the ideas and freedoms it stands for, as laid out in the constitution which admittedly we have not lived up to at times.