Saturday, February 23, 2008

My Short list for Obama runningmates

(Bob is back with his suggestions for Obama VP. This is a list of 4 strong candidates and 1 dream running mate.)
My Short list for Obama runningmates
by Bob Wells
As promised I have compiled a list of the those people that I think would make the best runningmates for Barack Obama in this years Presidential election. I tried to put aside my endorsement of McCain and my membership in the GOP and make this list according to which Democrats would most benefit the Obama campaign. I know I said that I would do a list for both Democratic candidates however after eleven straight primary victories by Senator Obama it is becoming increasing unlikely that Senator Clinton will be the Democratic Nominee there for I will not be writing a list of possible runningmates for her. However if she manages to pull an upset and win in Ohio, Texas, and Pennsylvania I will of course write a list for her. Oh also my choices do not take into account which candidates the choices endorsed in the primary. Some of my choices may be people who endorsed Senator Clinton.
1) Governor Ted Strickland (D-OH) Age 67
The reason the Governor makes the first spot on the list is because he is from the state of Ohio a swing state that has gone Republican in the last few elections cycles but by no more then a few points. He is extremely popular, was elected in a landslide and would I believe make it much harder for Senator John McCain to carry the all important Buckeye state. He also has experience not only as an executive but as a member of congress for over ten years. While he endorsed Senator Clinton I believe Senator Obama would do well to choose the governor, as a OBAMA/STRICKLAND ticket would be very hard to beat.
2) Senator Evan Bayh (D-IN) Age 52
The Senator, a moderate Democrat would appeal to independent voters, as putting the state of Indiana in play. Senator Bayh is a former governor and arguable one of the most popular elected official in the state and possible the only Democrat that could put Indiana, a state that has not voted for a Democratic Presidential candidate in decades into play. He is also a policy wank that would bring some much needed substance to the Obama campaign. He also brings executive experience to the campaign. The only short fall is that he has been know at times to have the charisma of a stump, when he gave the key note address at the 1996 Democratic Convention some pundits said it was like "watching paper mache dry" however this is not to much of a problem as Obama has more then enough charisma for this campaign.
3) Bill Nelson (D- FL) Age 66
The senator is again from an important swing state, he also has a rather moderate voting record in the senate which would help to appeal to moderates and independents. He is also considered by some to be a policy wonk who would again bring much needed substance and experience to the Obama campaign.
4) Bill Richardson (D-NM) Age 61
This choice brings the most experience and knowledge of government to the ticket. Governor Richardson is not only from an important swing state out west, but is also extremely popular. He has served in the U.S. House, As secretary of Energy under President Clinton, Ambassador to the U.N. and now as governor. He was the candidate that I believed and still believe would have been the best choice for President and had I been a democrat I would have endorsed him.He also brings a lot of experience and credibility to the Obama campaign.
5) Former Vice President Al Gore ( D-TN) Age60
Possibly the most popular Democrat in America, he would bring all the experience and credibility to the campaign as well as give the press joygasms and ensure nothing but great coverage. He would also energize the Democratic base even more. I also choice him because it would be very interesting

No comments: