Sunday, February 17, 2008

Obama's Witnesses


I am now christening the cult-like followers of Senator Obama the "Obama's Witnesses". So if media types start using this term, you heard it here first. I don't have a problem with people passionately supporting their candidate, but the pseudo-messianic aspect is what I'm referring to here. (I am currently collecting quotes related to the Obama's Witness phenomenon and will post them once I've got a good collection to illustrate exactly who I'm referring to.) As one article put it this week, "we have a senator from New York who was born in Illinois running against a senator from Illinois who was born in a manger". I'm half expecting to hear him say "I will unite the country; I will draw all men unto me". So, by all means support your candidate. Donate to him, campaign for him, work the phone lines. Tell me why he's the best guy, but save the metaphysical new-ageish language for someone other than me.

2 comments:

Bob W said...

I could not agree with you more. I used to say that Obama was all hat and not cattle. Now I expect to seem him look at the camera and tear up saying "We need your dollars so we can take our message of Hope and the good word to those who haven't heard it!"
I and maybe this was just me kinda heard some of the same thing from Ron Paul supporters. Creepy, I mean I am a McCain guy but I can tell you why I support him without using the word "feel" and "believe" in every sentence.

Friar Tuck said...

Go Obama go.