Sunday, March 23, 2008

A More Perfect Union?


Barack Obama's speech this week on race was honest, thoughtful, moving, and I fear, an unmitigated political disaster. I think he knew all along that it would become necessary at some point during the campaign to give a speech like this with regard to some racial incident arising during the campaign. I believe, however, that he expected it to be necessary at a later date in the campaign in response to some kind of race-baiting carried out by the Republicans. (I hope an incident like that doesn't occur, but sadly I am fully expecting it from some 527 group) I don't think he expected it to become necessary in response to an uproar over the outrageous statements of his own pastor.
The speech itself was one of the best I've heard from any politician on the subject of race. He dealt with causes of resentments on both sides and spoke from the heart in my opinion. The results of the speech are where I see some problems arising that may come back to haunt him in the fall. The idea that we need a national dialogue of some sort on issues of race relations is something I think is absolutely true. But here's the rub. (Read the next sentence two or three times because if I had to some up my view of politics in one sentence, by which I mean elections not actual governing, this would be it.) Politics is not about saying what is true; politics is about saying what people want to believe is true. I don't have numbers to back this up, but I don't think most blue-collar white voters (who will decide the election in the key rust-belt states) want to have a dialogue on race. For one, it sounds like the kind of conversation that could lead to someone getting their ass kicked. Secondly, as a nation our preferred way of dealing with major issues is to ignore them and hope they go away. For example, I had a conversation with a blue-collar white man the other night who said: "I just don't see racism as a problem. I think it's a waste of time to talk about". This was amusing to me on one level because racism wasn't a problem for us white men in 1960 or 1860 for that matter. But I think this is indicative of many people who saw Senator Obama as kind of a Tiger Woods of politics up until now, but now view him as "the black candidate". The white people who do realize need for such a dialogue are more likely to be educated, up-scale, and politically liberal. This also happens to be the heart of Obama's constituency. As Obama noted in his speech, less wealthy whites are largely immune to the "white guilt" phenomenon and are less likely to support Obama in the fall. These are the voters who have been the ones staying with Hillary in large numbers, even prior to the Wright stuff. This group not only is less likely to suffer from white guilt but are the most likely to experience the opposite phenomenon, a (hopefully small) portion of this group are the people I believe are fuelling the surging nativism in this country, blaming their economic woes on minorities. This is a voting bloc that would otherwise be tailor-made for a Democrat running for the White House in the current economy. I had a conversation with a co-worker the other day who was going on about how the economy is bad because of Iraq and how Bush just wanted the oil,etc. (which I wish was true, that would be less frightening to me than the reality that he believes he's on a mission from God.) So this guy should be someone the dems could bank on in November. But he ended the conversation by saying: "but we're gonna have a race war if that LaBamba gets elected!" There's no way of knowing how many people like this are out there and I hope it's a small number but I have a nagging suspicion otherwise. Fortunately for the Obama campaign all this happened in March and not October. The sooner he can get back on message and have us talking about hope and change rather than black and white, the better. I don't want to see him lose the election because of the race issue, I want to see him lose the election because his solution to this issue laid out at the end of his speech is the same as his solution to every issue: throwing more money into failed government programs. In a forthcoming post, I'll lay out what I would do to rejuvenate America's poor inner-city communities (and at the same time the large black and Latino populations therein) and how McCain can make up some ground in these areas.

4 comments:

Friar Tuck said...

I think Obama has to do something that will move him beyond this feedback loop on race that he is in. He has tried a few times, but has yet to get past it. Very tricky for the Clintons to get him trapped on this.

I was watching Chris Matthews going over different political possibilities for president. The best option for Hillary is that she is president. Then, the second best is that Obama wins and then loses to McCain. Thus, she has a vested interest in running down Obama even if he is nominated because he becomes nominated and loses she is set for 2012, without both of her formidable opponents currently (McCain will most likely not run for a second term, and Obama will be damaged goods)

Steve said...

yeah, that's what I've been telling people for about a week now. I think Hillary is trying to get McCain elected at this point so she doesn't have to wait 8 years. If Obama were a disaster she could conceivably challenge in 4 years, but there'd be no point because the dems don't seem to get the leeway the GOP does. For example if the dems had a guy in the White House with a 30% rating there's no way their guy would be tied (or slightly ahead) in the polls at this point. That's why you're seeing them try to tear down Obama in areas where McCain is strong (Bill's comments the other day being the most obvious. The major question for me on this is: would democratic primary voters forgive her for costing them this election when she hypothetically runs again in 4 years?

Anonymous said...

That is a good question, and one the wifey asks as she starts talking back at the tv.

Would you give up already, your ruining our party she says to Hillary. She also believes that is why Richardson endorsed Obama. Because Richardson wants to lead the way in uniting the party.

Bob W said...

The simple reality is, the reason this is hurting Obama is because he is excusing racist language.I also think that this flap as hurt him a lot less then it would have for any other politician because he is the media darling.
I think the Democrats are bound and determined to lose this race and I think either one of them will. This idea that Obama is somehow more electable then Clinton is silly, yes Clinton will fire up Republicans and has higher negatives however the bubble of invinsibility around Obama has been broken and once the Republicans start to point out how liberal and under qualified he is I think you will see McCain take a lead and hold on to in right through election day. Although I do think that Hillary is setting up to challenge McCain or his Vice President in 2012. It is interesting theater to watch.