Thursday, March 6, 2008

Looking For a Dentist.

So, I find myself in need of a dentist. There are several interesting ones out there. But here are the qualities I am looking for:
-I need a dentist with "an overwhelming sense of dignity and majesty".
-A dentist with "an overwhelming sense of hope"and "a deep and compassionate understanding of the human condition"
-I want a dentist who can unite all the teeth and move the mouth forward in a positive direction. Some one who opposed drilling from the beginning and feels comfortable putting his hands in any kind of mouth. That's very important, "bringing all the teeth together, because there are no yellow teeth or white teeth". And I'm willing to trust them on it. I don't need to see a history of doing it in other mouths. Saying they'll do it is good enough for me.
-Some one with "a deep hope for the future of my mouth". A dentist who understands "that there is a hole in my soul and he is the one who can fill it." (Whether they can fix the holes in my teeth is beside the point.)
-I want to be proud of my mouth for the first time in my adult life.
- I feel that "our emerging, post modern society needs a dentist who's imagination is not bounded by past experience. (My teeth) require imagination, innovation, bravery, and an explorer's heart." I have no clue what that means either, but that doesn't really matter. I feel good about it, damnit!
-I'm tired of the old dentistry. The dentistry of fear belongs in the past. All I've ever heard is how the plaque is looking to destroy my teeth. This is as bad as the misguided "War on Cavities". Did any of the proponents of dentistry as usual ever stop to think that maybe if I had a different dentist the plaque wouldn't feel threatened and would therefore have no need to attack my mouth and kill my teeth? It's just a matter of talking to the plaque.
-I want to leave the chair feeling inspired.......to do something, anything.
-I sense "a spirit of movement" and "a rising sense of community" towards "an evolved dentist" who "is not operating on the same plane as ordinary dentists and in many ways transcends the entire dental profession".
-I want to feel like 400 years of racist stupidity on this continent are completely wiped out because I chose this particular dentist. Wouldn't that be a nice feeling to have? It wouldn't be true, but I'd like to feel like it was.
-I'm not concerned about whether they have very much experience in dentistry. I don't care if they've done any hard work to solve serious tooth-related problems. That's "the thinking of the past". I'm not concerned with how specifically they plan to do it or whether it costs more ( I'm talking a LOT more).
-I know some people are skeptical; you're saying "Steve, that's no way to pick a dentist! You need someone with a clear track record, experience and a good deal of training." I say that that's the kind of thinking that got my mouth into the shape it's in right now. Teeth are hurting and they need change. To those who say we can't choose dentists that way, I say Yes, We Can! I mean, it's not like I'm choosing a President of the United States here.

3 comments:

Friar Tuck said...

You know...I think being a dentist and being a president are different skill sets.

And, one of the things that is important in a president is that a president can work and play well with others, get things accomplished, and project a vision for the future.

McCain struggles to work and play well with others, and has no real vision for the future.

Bob W said...

gssFriar you are absolutely wrong! McCain is the one with the record of bipartisan work, he has worked with democrats throughout the years to do things he felt was right. He votes with the democrats almost 15% of the time compared to Obama's 3.5 percent of the time.
He has a clear vision, a nation that finishes what is starts, a GOP of clear principal that is ran by conservatives/moderates that are rational and willing to work with others. I mean really did you do any research on either of the candidates before you wrote that!

Oh loved the post laughed so hard I almost pissed myself! I think it again illustrates how Obama supporters have abandoned logic for feeling great post. Oh and I wish I had written it.

Steve said...

All right, let's keep it civil here. Bob, there's no need to get worked up, but I'm glad you appreciated the humor.

Clint, I think you raise a couple of interesting points here. I don't think McCain plays well with others in that he's not going to win any popularity contests on the hill. As for working with others, I think he's shown a solid record of getting things accomplished that he believed in but which weren't particularly popular but which he was able to push through.(McCain/Feingold comes to mind. Feingold used to say you could spot the 2 of them because they were the ones eating alone in the Senate cafeteria whenever that bill was discussed)
The comment about McCain having no vision for the future intrigued me the most, though. After I read this I went to his website and looked at his position on (non-national security)issues and I would agree that he doesn't connect things into an overarching vision. Furthermore, if a politically-savvy person like yourself views him as having no vision, it is reasonable to expect John Q. Voter to view things that way as well. This is why I think that for the next 6-8 weeks McCain needs to focus on communicating his vision for the future (or come up with one if he hasn't got one) to the voters. He needs to find 3 or 4 domestic issues that he can point to real solutions and changes he would make as president. If he does this successfully he can win in November. If he doesn't, he will lose handily no matter who he faces. Also, I'm not attacking Senator Obama here just poking fun at some of his supporters (anything in quotation marks is a real quote from an actual supporter) who seem to view the guy as the second coming. It's good to be inspired by a candidate, but putting someone on a pedestal as the hope of the entire world is setting oneself up to be let down. And I might add that it's unfair to the senator himself.