Monday, March 9, 2009

Bible Study Ideas.

I'm leading my Wednesday night bible study group from now until Easter, and have been turned loose to basically do whaterver I want in terms of topics. (I'm not sure what they were thinking either.) I'm planning to teach on various aspects of the end of Jesus' ministry leading up to the crucifixion. I did last week's on the resurrection of Lazarus, because I was sick for several days and didn't feel like doing my normal prep-work. I also figured this particular story would be a very easy one to teach. I'm not planning to actually do the crucifixion or resurrection, but to end with the last supper. I figure all the professionals will be doing Passion related stuff during this time period and I want to be different. My tentative plan so far is as follows.

-3/11: Various Parables from Matthew 20 and Luke 14-16, picked based on what I think people will have comments about.

-3/18: More Luke parables or NCAA Basketball, whichever people are more interested in.

-3/25: Whatever I feel like doing from Sun-Wed. of Passion Week (skipping the Olivet Discourse). I may use the book of Mark for this one so I'll have done something from each Gospel.

-4/2: The Last Supper.

2 comments:

Friar Tuck said...

Sounds good, although I have a hard time doing more than one parable at once. Before we started our Lenten Study on the Lord's Prayer, I was working through Matthew. We got to the end of Matthew 25. I particularly thought the parables in Matthew 24-25 were interesting, because it put a whole new twist on the end times.

What are you using as resources? Of course, you can drop down and visit and borrow some of mine!! :)

Steve said...

I've just noticed that my calander is wrong. I thought Easter was the 5th. So I have an extra week to do. I may add Matthew 24-25, but I'm not sure. It would give me a chance to use my "Complete Works of Josephus" book that I haven't opened at all. I'd just have to make it clear up front that there will be no talk of "The UN", "computer chips in peoples foreheads", "super computers in Belgium", "bar-codes", or any of that kind of thing. Maybe I'll see what they want to do. As for resources I usually use some different commentaries I've seen online, I find that the group is more willing to throw out ideas with an amateur leader, as opposed to just sitting there waiting to be told the right answer, so that makes prep work a little easier, but I still like to have enough notes that I'm sure to fill the hour, usually about 8-10 pages hand-written for a 1 chapter lesson.