Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Speech: Media Reactions.

Tonight is Barack Obama's long-awaited acceptance speech, which I'm sure will be very good. I will be posting my thoughts on the speech tomorrow, but I'd like to look at the media response first. Now, of course the media response hasn't really happened yet but it isn't all that hard to predict. So here are some words and phrases you're almost sure to hear in the next few days.

-"He hit it out of the park tonight!"
-"The greatest political speech of my lifetime!"
-"Moving"
-"Inspirational!"
-"Transformational!"
-"Visionary"
-"Electrifying!"
-"How is McCain going to comeback from this?"
-" A knockout punch"
-" His poll numbers will go through the roof!"
- "This speech got him X-million votes!" (This will, of course, be impossible to verify until November.)
- "Substantive"
-"I was spasming uncontrollably the whole time!"
-" I want him to hope all over me!"
-"Wow!"
-"Historic"
-" I cried during his speech."
-"Eloquent"
-"Articulate"
-"He wrote most of it himself"
-"Answered the doubters." ( this will make me laugh the hardest. As one of his "doubters", his abililty to read a teleprompter was never something I doubted.)
-"Dr. King"
-" I am speechless!"
-"Inclusive or inclusionary"
-"Meteoric rise"
-"Changed the face of politics for a generation" (a bit soon for that, but I have a feeling I'll read those words.)

There will be a lot more fawning I'm sure, but this list is just the phrases I expect to read tomorrow. There will also be the usual gushing about how smart, compassionate, etc. he is. If the past several months are any indication, news articles from the left will sound mostly like they were written by teenagers describing someone they have a crush on, with some containing so much metaphysical New Age language that they read almost like an astrology reading. It should be fun. I'll be interested to see how much the speech and the convention do to boost his sagging poll numbers.

No comments: